November 3, 2009
Trilogy was founded in New Zealand in 2002 by sisters Sarah Gibbs and Catherine de Groot. The idea for the company formed after they discovered the benefits of rosehip oil in 2001. They were so impressed with it, they decided to create a range of skin and body care products that used it as a primary ingredient.
Their mission was to create,
“Exquisite products with maximum effect on the skin and minimum effect on the environment by using simple and pure blends of natural botanical ingredients and formulations that worked in harmony with the skin”.
The rosehip plant is fully sustainable and therefore has little effect on the environment compared to other resource intensive crops.
I emailed Trilogy and asked what they felt have been the key milestones in creating the success of their company and they said:
- Integrity and taking no shortcuts. Creating plant derived products that are free from synthetic and chemical ingredients such as parabans, SLS, silicone etc. They said:
“It’s all about being honest, direct and straight up with your customer, there is a lot of marketing and packaging hype in cosmetics so we aim to be straight up”.
- They say their success is due to the people around them:
“We try to run our small company as we would a bigger one. We don’t compromise on the quality of our ingredients, extraction and manufacturing processes and search out the very best people to advise and work with us in formulation, marketing and design. We are uncompromising about quality and we think we offer a natural and luxurious brand that delivers results at an approachable price”
- They love what they do.
Trilogy have 4 main product areas with 30 products in total: hair care, face care, body care and what they call extra care which includes items like lip balms and eye creams etc.
All of the Trilogy products are suitable for vegans except for the following:
- Intensive Lip Treatment (contains beeswax)
- Gentle Facial Exfoliant (contains honey)
- Exfoliating Body Polish (contains honey)
- Ultra Hydrating Masque (contains honey)
- Booster Capsules (gelatin capsules)
Certified Organic rosehip oil is the key ingredient to all Trilogy products. This oil is extracted from the seeds and fruit of rosehips which grow at high altitude in Africa.
Trilogy products do not contain:
- Mineral oils
- Paraben preservatives
- GMO ingredients
- Artificial colours or fragrance
- Propylene Glycol
- Pesticides or herbicides
- DEA or TEA
- SLS and other harsh detergents.
Instead they use:
- Certified Organic rosehip oil that contain 80% fatty acids, vitamin E and an antioxidant called lycopene
- 100% plant based oils
- Natural preservatives such as grapefruit and vitamin E which are used in conjunction with other non paraben based preservatives. The total amount of preservatives used in their products never exceeds 0.6% and meets high international standards for safety.
All ingredients are listed in order of conclusion. The higher up in the list an ingredient appears, the greater the percentage of that ingredient in the product.
Ethics, values and principles
Cruelty free: Trilogy are a Cruelty Free Accedited company. No Trilogy products or ingredients are tested on animals. Instead they use human volunteers, actively support campaigns against animal testing and support organistions such as the SPCA and the WSPA.
CarboNZero: To be certified as CarboNZero, Trilogy had to meet a range of criteria:
- Measurement and colculation of emissions from production, distributing, selling (sea and air freight, fuel cost, electricity and useage of natural gas) and marketing of products.
- Demonstrate a commitment to reducing emissions
- The criteria were administered by a company called Landcare Research
- The whole process was verified by Deloitte (auditors)
Carbon investments: They invest in the Landfill Project and buy wind farm credits in order to offset CO2 emissions and contribute to the renewable energy industry
Ethical palm oil: Trilogy source their Palm Oil from a founding member of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO).
“We are committed to producing products that meet the highest standards of performance, safety and sustainability, which includes ensuring that we source our ingredients from sustainable and ethical sources”.
All of the materials used to package Trilogy’s products are biodegradable. Their packaging is made using a combination of non bleached calico, non bio-accumulating dyes and recycled PET plastic.
They use brown jars and bottles to protect certain products and their natural ingredients from sunlight.